Marmite - you either love it or hate it, there really is no in-between. And this post is for a recipe which I would say is exactly that as Marmite.. Spiced Chicken Livers .. LOVE them or HATE them ? I happen to love them so obviously it's got to be posted on here.
To serve 4-6 people you will need:
1kg chicken liver
4 large onions
2 tbsps garlic paste / 6-8 garlic cloves crushed
2 tbsps ginger paste / 1 inch fresh ginger crushed
2 tbsps curry powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 green chillies chopped
juice of a whole lemon
fresh coriander to garnish
- Start by finely slicing the onions, and frying them off in a little oil. When the onions have softened, add in the garlic, ginger, chillies & salt.
- Place the chicken livers in a bowl and wash thoroughly in cold water, till the water is as clear as possible
- When the onions have turned golden brown in colour, add the curry powder, stir well and add in the chicken livers. Stir through, place the lid on the pan & leave to simmer on a low heat.
- The livers should take anywhere between 40 -55 minutes to cook through. Half way between them cooking, make sure to give them a stir through and add in the lemon juice
- You will know they are done when they break easily with a wooden spoon, and they are lightly browned all the way through
- Just before serving, garnish with the chopped coriander and serve with chapatis or garlic naan