Soda bread is a fab bread to start off baking with if you're not confident in bread but want to make a start and build on your skills. It's also great as its so simple to put together, a variety of fillings would compliment it. This bread doesn't require any kneading whatsoever, and you don't have to let it prove at all, it literally takes less than an hour in total.
for my sun dried tomato soda bread you will need:
500g bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda bicarbonate
3-4 tsp dried italian herbs
4-5 tbsp parmesan/ italian hard cheese
6-8 sundried tomatoes chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180c, (fan)If you're making your own buttermilk, start by making that first and leave to aside.
- Add all the other ingredients to a bowl, stir together just so that the tomatoes distribute evenly
- Slowly add in the buttermilk using a wooden spoon till everything is just combined
- turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and shape the dough into a round. Place onto a grease proof lined baking tray. Cut a deep cross in the middle of the round
- Bake for 40 minutes until doubled in size and golden. It should sound hollow when tapped from the bottom.
- Eat/serve as desired.
*I made my own by adding 3 tsp of lemon juice straight into the milk - leave the milk to sit for 10 minutes once you've added the juice for the milk to become buttermilk