Friday 7 September 2018

Alternate carbonara

Carbonara is always one of those dishes that I've wanted to try but quite obviously being Muslim the ham is a no no, so I decided to make up a dish as similar as possible that I could to it.
I decided to replace the bacon for halal Turkey bacon, and used my go to cheese sauce.

For my carbonara to serve 4-6 people you will need

450g linguine/spaghetti
8-10 rashers turkey bacon sliced
2 tsp garlic granules / 1 clove crushed garlic
A double batch of my go to cheese sauce

• To start, boil the linguine as per packet instructions. Drain, but save a little of the pasta water as this will help the pasta stay silky and al dente, rather than dry and rubbery when all the water has been drained. Set aside
• In a frying pan, fry off the rashers & garlic in a tbsp of oil. When using bacon no oil is needed as the fat helps crisp and cook the rashers, whereas with the smoked rashers they are cooked but need a little help to crisp up, stir into the linguine.
• Pour the cheese sauce over the linguine ensuring all the strands are coated well. Serve with garlic  bread, and garnish with vegetarian parmesan if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment